If the ideal child-free day for you would involve around sleeping. Without anyone constantly waking you up then probably you can relate. Countless sleepless nights, early mornings and naps you never took.
But since we cannot change that here are some of my tips on how to cope with those sleepless nights. And how to make the most of the sleep you get.
7 tips on coping with sleepless nights
- Wake up before the kids, even if it is 10 minutes before them. I know what you are thinking, how is getting up earlier going to help me with the lack of sleep? Well by waking up before the kids, you have that alone time to focus on you. On doing something that makes you happy or something that will give you an energy boost in the morning
- If you can, exercise in the morning. This will give you an energy boost and also will prepare you to conquer your day. Even if it is only for five minutes, do some stretches or some simple exercises. This will get you into a better mood and give you more energy.
Get ready in the morning even if you have nowhere to go
- Get ready in the morning. There is no better way to instantly feel better than getting ready in the morning, even if you have nowhere to go. Just brush your hair, get out of you pajamas and if you want apply some makeup. This will help you get in a better mood right away.
- Have a good breakfast and coffee. Now we all know how important it is to have a good breakfast. Try to include in your breakfast grains, fruits and protein. This will give you energy and get to you in a better mood to start your day. Avoid sugars as much as you can. They give you a quick energy spike but this energy will soon crash. This will result in you feeling sleepy again. Coffee needs around 20 minutes to start affecting your energy levels. This means that drinking your coffee early in the morning will give you the energy boost you need before you leave the house.
- If you can, sleep when your baby/toddler/kid is sleeping. I know it is sometimes easier said than done. But if you try to at least do it once-twice a week you will notice a huge difference. Or have a quick coffee power nap.
Coffee power nap
It is when you quickly have a coffee and you have a 20-minute nap right after. Coffee needs 20 minutes to start affecting your energy. This way you will wake up refreshed and with so much more energy.
- Tackle your to-do list as early on and write a to-do list every night. My writing a to-do list for the next day you can take everything off of your mind and you can get a better night’s sleep. Tackling that to-do list as soon as possible in the morning can make you feel like a superwoman. It will help you get in a better mood and you will not have to worry for the rest of the day.
- Go outside. It has been proven that fresh air can instantly lift your mood and get you in a better mindset. Fresh air will make your mood better and will wake you up. Even a little walk can have such a beneficial impact on your mood. Plus, kids love being outside so it is a win win situation.
5 tips to help you have a better night’s sleep
- Prepare everything the night before. The last thing you want to do is having to deal with a huge to do list after numerous sleepless nights. Here are some things you can do the night before. This way you can focus on the things mentioned above right away.
- Change your bedtime routine, find the most effective ways to help you wind down. Write a to do list for the next day. Have a warm shower before going to bed. Have a warm decaf tea or some warm milk to help you wind down.
- When you can or at least once a week go to bed early. I am definitely the type of person that takes full advantage of my alone time after the kids’ bedtime. But trying to go to bed early at least once a week has make such a huge difference on my mood. You get a full night’s sleep if the kids let you and you feel like a new woman in the morning.
- Me time and self care. It doesn’t have to be every week, but try to have at least two nights a month to take care of yourself. It can be a spa night, a face mask or a simple manicure. Just take some time off of your night to take care of you. This way you will go to bed happier and it will be easier for you to fall asleep. Plus you will wake up in such a good mood in the morning, even if you don’t get much sleep.
- Clean, fresh smelling bed sheets. I think we can all relate to this. There is nothing more calming than fresh smelling bed sheets. You can of course use calming oil on your pillows as well. Lavender oil works wonders to help you relax and fall asleep easier.